- Zone 3 welcomes submissions of fiction in a wide variety of aesthetics from both emerging and established writers.
- During a submission period, please submit no more than one story.
- We seldom publish prose that is more than 5,000 words in length. We will consider novel excerpts and flash pieces.
- Our reading period is from August 1st to April 1st. We make every effort to respond to all submissions within six months of receiving them.
- Zone 3 accepts simultaneous submissions, but please notify us if your work is accepted elsewhere. To withdraw, please do so in Submittable.
- A Note on the 2021 Feature Issue: At Zone 3 Press and Zone 3 journal we stand in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement. We recognize and condemn ongoing acts of violence committed against Black people, and acknowledge the significance of this violence. As editors we are invested in change, and seek to offer our literary platform to hear, heed, and uplift Black voices, as well as those of indigenous writers and all people of color. In the service of this effort, we will be dedicating recurring special issues to underrepresented voices, beginning with a special issue celebrating Black, Indigenous, and Voices of Color. The first special issue is scheduled for publication in Fall 2021. We recognize that a contribution to any themed issue creates a more specific call than our general submissions. To encourage entries to these special issues, we will waive the submission fees of any submitter whose work addresses the featured theme. Please click this link to view the submission guidelines for our forthcoming feature issue.
- If your work is accepted for publication, you grant Zone 3 First North American serial rights and non-exclusive reprint rights. You also grant Zone 3 the right to display the work or a portion of the work on our website, in its marketing or promotion of the work, and within Zone 3 publications. All other rights remain yours as the sole owner of the work, including the right to offer the work for subsequent publication in a literary anthology.
Send us your best story. We look forward to reading your work.