Thanks for your interest in Zone 3 Press. Please look carefully at all of our submissions categories.
Zone 3, a literary journal
- Zone 3 is a biannual magazine.
- Fiction, Nonfiction, and Poetry submissions are open August 1-April 1.
- All contributors will receive payment for their accepted works and two print copies of the issue in which they are published. International contributors, or contributors residing internationally, will receive an electronic copy.
- All poems, essays, and stories accepted for publication in the journal will be considered for the Zone 3 literary awards. One winner will be selected from each genre. The winners will be announced in the fall and receive a prize of $250.
- A Note on the 2021 Feature Issue: At Zone 3 Press and Zone 3 journal we stand in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement. We recognize and condemn ongoing acts of violence committed against Black people, and acknowledge the significance of this violence. As editors we are invested in change, and seek to offer our literary platform to hear, heed, and uplift Black voices, as well as those of indigenous writers and all people of color. In the service of this effort, we will be dedicating recurring special issues to underrepresented voices, beginning with a special issue celebrating Black, Indigenous, and Voices of Color. The first special issue is scheduled for publication in Fall 2021. We recognize that a contribution to any themed issue creates a more specific call than our general submissions. To encourage entries to these special issues, we will waive the submission fees of any submitter whose work addresses the featured theme. Click here for Fiction, Poetry, or Nonfiction.
Zone 3 Press Book Awards
Zone 3 Press offers biennial book awards that alternate between poetry and creative nonfiction. The Zone 3 Press Creative Nonfiction Book Award is open for submissions until April 1. The prize is $1,000 and publication. Find information on our Creative Nonfiction Book Award here and our First Book Award in Poetry (opens in 2022) here.
$1,000 And Publication (Submissions Open Jan. 1, 2022)
- One copy of your manuscript of about 48-80 pages.
- An acknowledgments page may be included.
- $20.00 reading fee made payable to Zone 3 Press. The reading fee includes a one-year subscription to Zone 3.
- This award is biennial.
- Submissions will be open until April 1, 2022.
- Authors with published books are not eligible to enter.
- Please include one title page with the title only (no personal identification) in your document.
- Please upload by April 1, 2022.
- The final judge is will be announced.
- Current and former students and faculty of APSU are not eligible to enter. In addition, Zone 3 Press will not accept manuscripts from contestants who have previously studied with or have a personal relationship with the announced judge.
- The winner will be notified by e-mail or telephone.
- The judge may choose no winner if they find no manuscript that, in their estimation, merits publication and the award.
- Questions should be addressed to Andrea Spofford (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We subscribe to the Council of Literary Magazines and Presses (CLMP) Contest Code of Ethics: “CLMP’s community of independent literary publishers believes that ethical contests serve our shared goal: to connect writers and readers by publishing exceptional writing. We believe that intent to act ethically, clarity of guidelines, and transparency of process form the foundation of an ethical contest. To that end, we agree to 1) conduct our contests as ethically as possible and to address any unethical behavior on the part of our readers, judges, or editors; 2) to provide clear and specific contest guidelines defining conflict of interest for all parties involved; and 3) to make the mechanics of our selection process available to the public. This Code recognizes that different contest models produce different results, but that each model can be run ethically. We have adopted this Code to reinforce our integrity and dedication as a publishing community and to ensure that our contests contribute to a vibrant literary heritage.”
Includes our most recently published issue. Fees include shipping.
Thank you for your support!
A one-year subscription includes two issues of Zone 3 and begins with the most recently published issue. Fees include shipping.
Thank you for your support!